Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Great Granny! {a finished tablerunner}

Isn’t she a beauty?

034

The original pattern from Lori Holt’s book called for 3 x 6 great granny squares, but I modified the design to fit the top of our bedroom dresser so this one has 2 x 7 blocks.

053

I am loving the texture of the free motion quilting.  By golly, I think I’m finally getting it!  Something just clicked in my brain this time as I was trying to freehand draw the design on paper before attempting it with my machine. 

065

The back is nearly as gorgeous as the front.  I was able to use this remnant of Anna Maria Horner fabric left over from another project and there was just enough to position the large floral motifs straight down the center of the back.

The finished size is 17.5 x 51.5.  Most of the blocks were designed by my two oldest daughters.  I’m pretty sure I only had to show them how to arrange it once and they were on a roll putting them together for me.  The background is Essex linen in a cream shade.

048

I used a lot of scraps for this project, so this will be labeled #2/52 for a little scrap project goal I am challenging myself to complete a la Crazy Mom Quilts and her 100 scrap projects goal.  I might be crazy, I am a mom, and I quilt, but there’s no way I could do 100 scrap projects like she’s breezing through them!  So 52 is my goal.

038

It feels great to have that old bath towel replaced by this tablerunner on our bedroom dresser! 

Thanks for visiting!

10 comments:

  1. I love everything about this- the gorgeous pinks, the beautiful quilting and the perfect backing! Your dreser will look very stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! You did a great job with the quilting too. Can't wait to see what other scrappy projects you come up with. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous! I love the colors (of course) and the backing is fun too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out great Jamie! I love the photo of the table runner over the fence rails. So pretty. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoop,whoop,and what a runner it is! Wow this turned out fabulous! Beautiful photos as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful, Jamie! What a fun project to do with your daughters. One of these days I'll get around to using my scraps.....they're kinda taking over my sewing room. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh this is for your dresser!! Lovely:) I especially like the use of the Essex linen and the AMH (my fave designer) on the back!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks really great and I especially love how you photographed it.

    ReplyDelete

Some days the only adult I talk to is my husband...help him keep his sanity by leaving a comment so I have another adult to talk sewing with:) I will make sure to reply!